Founded in 2013, Identity Spark (originally Press Space) was established to support the needs of games and technology companies, from startups through to well-established studios. It's tough to get noticed in an ever-crowded arena and we get that it's also tough to know how to start fixing that. As well as our core passions of branding, marketing and communications, we bring experience in publishing, development, journalism, business strategy and events management, so you can be sure we see the bigger picture, and that we call on just the right skills for each client and each brand.
The spark of our identity...
Founder and CEO Natalie Griffith cut her gaming teeth on a Woolworth’s Pong clone and a friend’s ZX81, and went on to enjoy the combined delights of Jet Set Willy, Hungry Horace and type-in listings that wouldn’t run. Fast-forward three decades and she’s still every bit as excited and enthralled by games and technology as she was at the start, and she can still remember the first time she completed Super Mario Land on the Game Boy.
A 25+ year games industry career has included design, journalism, business development strategy, corporate brand-building and product launches, as well as over 17 years of in-house and agency marketing, branding and PR. Leading games publisher Codemasters, Official Nintendo Magazine Australia, UK independent developer Blitz Games Studios and highly-regarded games PR and marketing agency Lincoln Beasley have all given Natalie the privilege of combining a life-long passion with making a living.
Natalie is passionate about putting-something-back, and was listed as one of the Top 100 Women in Games in 2015, was awarded the MCV Women in Games Career Mentor award in 2017. She is also proud to be an official industry Ambassador for gaming-for-the-disabled charity SpecialEffect, a STEMnet Video Games Ambassador committed to encouraging young people into careers in games and technology, and a Next Gen Skills Academy Aspiring Women mentor.
For more information and numerous testimonials, please visit Natalie's LinkedIn here.
Extra fuel for the fire...
Along with our core team, we are proud to collaborate with a number of preferred partners who we turn to whenever our clients need it, including our official PR partner agency, and our preferred creative design consultancy.
Marketing & Brand Assistant
Lorna has been with us since late 2016 and brings razor-sharp insight and a creative flair to all our marketing, branding and communications work.
Sam is our highly-experienced go-to partner for consumer and specialist PR. We've worked together on a number projects and can pool resources whenever we need that extra bit of PR fuel.
Craig's design skills and portfolio are second-to-none, and we never tire of collaborating with him on our creative endeavours, or recommending him to clients for all their visual branding needs.
Tracey is our first port-of-call for additional corporate marketing and comms support. She has impeccable creds in the games and entertainment sectors and we've worked on a variety of exciting projects.
Natalie's an active and passionate speaker, hosting and participating in a wide range of workshops, conference talks and panels, including being a chosen speaker at the inaugural TEDx Leamington Spa in 2015. (See below for full speaking credits, and email natalie@IdentitySpark.net for speaking enquiries.)
"Natalie is a simply marvellous speaker. She's witty, positive, energetic and, most importantly, she knows her stuff. She's strong on everything from branding and PR, to marketing and trends in the games industry as a whole.
I've seen (coming up on) half a dozen of her talks now and each one is tailored to the audience well, contains real data to back up her points, and has plain English action points to take back to the studio and try out."
Peter Willington, Producer, Auroch Digital
- Ukie Hub Crawl – March 2018: "What do you want to be when you grow up? The importance of building your brand"
- PocketGamer Connects – January 2018 London: “Brand Talk – A Fireside Chat" and 2018 San Francisco: "The importance of building your brand" plus:
2016 (solo talk: “Community-led development”)
2015 (keynote: “Seeking Serendipity: connections that make a business thrive”)
2014 (panel: "Trends in Marketing & Discoverability")
- Nordic Games – May 2017: “Social media: sanity vs vanity”
- Game Republic 2-Day Marketing Workshop – May 2017
- Develop Conference – July 2016: “Social media: sanity vs vanity”
- TEDx Leamington Spa – November 2015: “Play’s the Thing: How Videogames Taught Me to be Brave”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqtMiuGgRzY
- Creative England Funding Workshop – November 2015: “Building something out of nothing: how to build brands and influence people”
- Interface Conference – Nov 2015: “Why community management is the new PR”
- Games Investment Summit – EGX Sep 2015: “Kickstarter 2.0, Why crowd-funding is about more than just the campaign”
- Kickstarter Masterclass 2014 – hosted by Kickstarter and TIGA – evening showcasing a successful crowdfunding campaign case study
- GameFounders Mentoring Week, Estonia – May 2014: "The Indie Promotional Journey", plus full day of 1-2-1 developer mentoring
- Innovation Birmingham Meet The Press (2012, 2013, 2014 – chair), 2015 – chair and keynote)
- Game Horizon Marketing Summit – Sep 2014: “Indie Marketing 101”
- Ukie – numerous speaking slots on PR & marketing, community management, startup business advice, careers guidance, including: “Community-led development” (Feb 2016), “PR & Discoverability” (Feb 14), “Buidling something out of nothing” (Ukie Student Indie Conference, Sep 2014)
- TIGA – numerous speaking slots on PR & marketing, community management, startup business advice, careers guidance, including: “Indie 2.0” (June 2015), “Community management 101” (July 2015), “Indie PR: The Promotional Journey” (2014), “Indie Discoverability” (Nov 2013)
- Co-Founder, chair and speaker at Indie Game Collective conferences (2013, 2014, 2015, 2018) – a collaborative program designed to allow small, cash-poor startups to access high quality, inspiring speakers for free.